Thursday, December 11, 2008

Spin A Good Yarn

Recently I investigated spinning yarn, and found a whole crafting world to explore. Ever wonder if you could create yarn from fiber? I found out there is a lot to learn and experiment with. I gained a new level of respect for yarn and those who hand make it.

spin yarn book
During a visit to Boulder Colorado's Shuttles, Spindles and Skeins, I spotted a great book on spinning. I found out it was written by a co-owner of the shop, Maggie Casey. 

Besides reading books, I also decided to attend a class on spinning. This proved to be very helpful, getting to use a drop spindle, and a spinning wheel. The challenges included learning how to draft fibers in preparation for spinning, and working on hand tension techniques once the spinning started. I got fiber all over myself, but did put some on the bobbin as well. Spinning will take time and practice to master !!

In the future we may raise alpacas for fiber here on the farm, but for now, I will frequent brick & mortar and on-line shops for my threads. I'm glad I took the time to explore spinning yarn, even though I'm not ready to do it full time just yet.

3 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

That's very interesting, Kathryn, I like your blog. It's very versatile, informative and entertaining. Keep up the good work :-)

Homemade Zen said...

Interesting. I haven't consider trying spinning yet, but might be fun to learn in the future :-)

Valerie said...

My daughter started raising sheep last fall. Her first shearing will be this spring. I sure hope SHE gets the hang of it so I can have my personal supplier!