Sunday, January 25, 2009

New Farm Creatures - Bees !!

This spring our farm will begin an exciting chapter of life - exploring the experience of beekeeping. As part of our goal to live as sustainably as possible, it made sense to add honey bees to the ecosystem of our farm. 

To begin, we are getting two bee hives. The first hive will get 3 pounds of Italian honey bees, the other will get 3 pounds of Minnesota Hybrid bees. Each hive will have one queen bee. Apparently the bees spend the first summer building out the hive, so we should expect honey in the second season.

Bees are having trouble these days. Etsian SturmDM promotes the education and funding of bee research in her shop. She also creates adorable bee themed items, such as this hat/bee combination - I just love it ! This one is sold, but I'll bet she would make another one like it if asked.

So, we begin another adventure. I hope to learn to love the little buggers over time.

1 comment:

Doris Sturm said...

Thanks, Kathryn, for mentioning my shop and of course, I gladly do custom orders.

I'm so glad you're doing this. I can't wait to hear more about your beekeeping experience as time progresses...yeah!!!! Go bees!

Love it!